Monday, June 28, 2010

Present for daddy!

Today, I sent off the first official package of the deployment.  I love how as they are saying goodbye, they give you instructions on what they need you  to send and when to send it.  I would do anything for my love, even if it does cost 25$ to send.  Hopefully, that will be the only one that cost that much.  Most of the stuff was actually things that he needed that could not fit in his gear when he was packing.  There was no way though, that I could send off a package without adding a little bit of junk food.  Sister made daddy a homemade card that was in the shape of a heart and then she drew a picture of her and daddy holding hands.  Brother, being the typical boy that he is, really has no intrest in writing, drawing, or anything other than playing super heros and wrestling.  I tried on a few occasions to prompt brother to do something to put in the package for daddy.  This is his response and the conversation that followed.

Brother:  I'm tired of writing and drawing pictures today (even though he had done neither of the two all day).

Me:  Okay, you do not have to put anything in the package if you do not want to. 

So while I while I sat on the floor trying to put all the stuff in the box as tight as possible so that it would not just toss around everywhere, brother came up with a good idea of his own.  Of course, I was focusing so hard at the task at hand, I wasn't fully paying attention to what brother was really saying.  I do believe that this next conversation made my day.  It definately gave me the deep down belly laugh that I love!

Brother:  I know, we can send daddy a present. 

Me:  Ummm-hmmmm

Brother:  Do you think that would be a good idea mom?

Me:  Yes honey, whatever you want to put in there.

Brother:  Okay, let me go see if we have any (while opening the fridge).

Brother:  Oh man, we don't have any beer. 

*now he has my attention*

Me:  Why in the world do we need beer?

Brother:  So we can send daddy a present.

Now, that boy knows what daddy would really like to have in that package!  And that reminds me of another really cute thing that brother said.  When I first started getting the stuff together for the package, brother was very concerned about the amount of candy that I was sending daddy.  He says, "are you going to send all that candy to daddy?"  I said, "yes dear."  His response actually melted my heart just as much as it made me laugh.  He says, " okay, but be sure and tell daddy that if he doesn't eat all his dinner, he can't have any."     Oh that boy!  He can brighten anyones day.



3 comments:

  1. Too cute! I love that age. And my middle son really has no interest in putting anything in care packages either - I think it's a boy thing.
    And I'm sure my kids daddy would love beer in his package too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kids are smart!!! don't you hate sending that first package!! It weighs like 40 pounds .. lol .. I think i had to send 3 packages the first time to fit his stuff and snacks in!! :) Your kids are soo cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. awe, so adorable!! kids are soo smart!!!

    ReplyDelete