Monday, July 12, 2010

Little angel on my shoulder.

Today has been my thinking day.  Like, I just sit around and think about everything good and bad that may have happened over the past wk.  One incident specific keeps standing out in my head.  I just can't help and be grateful for the little angel that HAD to be sitting on my shoulder a few nights ago. 

On friday night I headed out to my best friends house for a much needed hangout session.  They had prepared a delicious dinner and we shot off the last of the fireworks they had left.  Once the rain started coming down, we headed inside where the kids started playing the wii and I was able to have adult conversation with my bestie without having to stop every 5 secs to help a kid with something.  Time just flew by.  Next thing I know, it is 11:30 and I have about a 25 min drive back to my parents house.  I started gathering up the shoes, putting my camera away and giving out my good-bye hugs when my kids asked if we could stay just a little bit longer.  Normally I would have given the typical "its getting really late", "im really tired", "its a long drive home" speech, but on this paticular night I just said okay and we stayed a little bit longer.  That is how I know an angel was sitting on my shoulder.

You see, I was on my way home.  Making my way through town jamming to some Justin Bieber (trying to keep the kids awake so I would not have to carry them up all 15 stairs to the front porch) when I drove up on a massive car accident.  I'm talking this wreck was so bad that it has both North and South bound lanes of the by-pass closed and covered with flashing lights.  It was so bright that I almost could not see the road.  We were detoured off the by-pass and I made my way home.  I went to bed thinking about that wreck.  I wanted to know what had happened.  I knew that it was bad because I heard life force flying over my parents house after I got home.  On Saturday I tried to search for details pertaining to the accident but could find none.  It was Sunday morning when I finally learned how the accident occured.

A call had come in to the 911 center that there was a car driving North in the South bound lane.  About 5 minutes later, another call comes in stating that there was a head on collison on the by-pass.  A woman, for unknow reasons had entered the by-pass going the wrong direction and then crashed head on with a car that was driving in the right direction.   The woman ended up in ICU at a local hospital and the car that she crased into was being driven by a 24 yr old boy who was killed from the impact.  When I drove up on the accident, it had just happend about 45 min previous.  That means, if I had actually left when I wanted to and not given in to my kids request to stay a little longer, that could have been me and my kids in the car that the woman hit.  So, I find myself thinking about that little angel that was sitting on my shoulder that night.  The one that told me to stay just a little longer...because the what if's are just too hard to handle. So tonight, I will pray not only for the safety of my husband, but I will forever remember to pray for the safety of my children, family, friends and myself.

1 comment:

  1. OMG brittney I am crying I am soo glad you guys are safe i love you

    ReplyDelete